I’m very happy and privileged to be here today. I take this opportunity to thank Mohua Rashid, country manager, ACCA Bangladesh for inviting me as chief guest in this august gathering.
Let me begin by Congratulating each of you for being new members of this global body for professional accountants. The road to this success has not been easy…. climbing the career radar in finance and accounting requires willingness to take on new and difficult challenges, acquiring varied experience and long term goals. You have overcome all these hurdles and became members of this worldwide network – an opportunity not open to other profession including my own CA profession.
You are very privileged to be part of this global profession, because-
- ACCA develops “business ready” finance professional who can help grow business, not mere accountant or auditor to maintain and certify accounts. ACCA syllabus is rich and kept up to date with the latest developments. As a result, ACCA qualified are outweighing others including CAs in the job market.
- ACCA provides worldwide network of professionals. Members are holding position in the reputed corporate companies around the globe. Not only this helps in identifying yourself in the international network but also is a very good contact database for locating companies where members are serving.
- ACCA business and marketing modality promote talent and deepen technical education, thus help sharpening your knowledge. This is the profession where “talent treaty” for instance, recent treaty between ACCA and ISCA ( Singapore) is done to tap global knowledge.
- ACCA is uniquely positioned to promote collaboration with other professional bodies and offer exemption opportunities for members.
In this new paradigm shift around the globe where we all are struggling to meet emerging business challenges, let me offer the following tips in order to position yourself better:
- Independent Business: Business has gradually moved from family dominance to corporate pattern. Employers look for value added professionals to bring relevant skills. Prepare yourself to answer the question why the employer will choose you.
- Competition/ get feedback on your performance: Always challenge yourself. Feel the competition to move up to the ladder. Always seek feedback and act on those positively.
- Persuasive and Negotiation Skills, internally and externally – Be firm and strong when marketing yourself or selling ideas. Dealing with varied stakeholders require some degree of negotiation skills. Acquire this, it exposes your internal personal skills.
- Multi-tasking: Scarce resources forced the corporate world to go for quality, not quantity. Employees are now tasked with multi and cross cutting functions, beyond the core finance function. Learn multi-tasking business modality.
- ICT: living in this technologically transformed world without IT knowledge is impossible. Keep yourself abreast of what ICT is developing for finance professionals, for instance, in World Bank we are obsolete if not connected with SAP, ERP or IFMIS.
- Communication: An increasingly important area of today’s business is to learn the art of communication. No matter how much you have accumulated in the storage (mental box), those will be of little use unless communicated clearly and succinctly in a business friendly tone. Communication with right choice of words on right topic and at the right time also helps career progression plan.
- Be innovative: Explore new ideas. In addition to internet or google, ACCA journal/ Edition is a good source to generate new ideas and thoughts. Don’t be too conventional…. bring new style or plan to work place.
On core professional business, please remember the following-
- Professional Ethics: Nurturing and practicing Ethical norms and values differentiates the accounting professionals from the rest of all other professionals. Please maintain high degree of ethics wherever you serve in whatever capacity.
- Think globally, act locally: Stay connected with the fast changing standards concerning IFRS, Audit Assurance, and Finance modules. The principles are the same around the world, learn how to customize that suits specific context. Maintain the compliance strictly and contribute to investment prospects where investors looks for transparent, comparable and reliable financial information.
- Be prepared to sacrifice your leisure time. For accountants, there is a need to prepare monthly, quarterly or annual closing report, often when others celebrate New Year.
We know what we are but not know what we may be- Realize your potential.
A few suggestion for ACCA Bangladesh’s consideration
- ACCA should include public sector subjects in the curriculum. In today’s business driven by public private partnership, learning on private or corporate sector only will not help. The knowledge gap is therefore needs to be narrowed down.
- ACCA needs to keep a close engagement with key public sector and regulatory bodies like Auditor General, Security & Exchange Commission, etc.
- Ensure quality assurance of the private training centers which are teaching on ACCA curriculum.
Once again thank you ACCA Bangladesh for this great honor. I remain committed to be an advocate of this fast growing profession around the globe, particularly in Bangladesh.